Five local candidates discuss immigration at forum

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-f850e128-7fff-31e7-ea89-afd13309731b"><span>Students attended an immigration forum where they heard from five local political candidates Thursday night in Pugh Hall. The candidates discussed how immigration would affect their constituents.</span></span></p>

Students attended an immigration forum where they heard from five local political candidates Thursday night in Pugh Hall. The candidates discussed how immigration would affect their constituents.

Maria Sosa wishes there was a voice in politics to represent her experience as an immigrant.

Now an American citizen, Sosa said she immigrated to the U.S. when she was 5 years old.

“Luckily, I did have the chance of becoming an American citizen, but I know that many of the people in my family didn’t have the chance and don’t have that privilege that I had,” said Sosa, a 20-year-old UF health science junior.

Sosa was one of about 50 students in Pugh Hall Thursday night who listened to candidates share their views on immigration. The candidates each gave an opening and closing statement and answered audience questions.

The candidates included Democrats Yvonne Hayes Hinson, a candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives District 3; Dr. Kayser Enneking, a candidate for the Florida State Senate District 8; Jason Haeseler, a candidate for the Florida House of Representatives District 21; and Marihelen Wheeler, a candidate for Alachua County Commission District 2. Charles Goston, a candidate for the Florida State Senate District 8 who does not affiliate with a party, also spoke.

The forum hosted by Gators for Underrepresented Voters touched on immigration issues, including the future of individuals in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy and how immigration affects candidates’ constituents.

“Just coming out here and hearing what the candidates have to say about it is very important to me,” Sosa said. “Although right now maybe it’s not affecting me directly, it affects the people that I care about.”

Hayes Hinson said she would support granting full citizenship to those who fall under the protection of DACA.

“DACA was like every two years you were standing in front of someone not knowing your future,” Hayes Hinson said.

Enneking said she believes the immigration system in the U.S. should be reformed to include a path to citizenship.

“It keeps us vibrant, it keeps us diverse, it keeps us strong,” Enneking said.

Contact Gillian Sweeney at gsweeney@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @gilliangsweeney