Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A man threatened to cut a homeless man with a knife over a McDonald’s hamburger Friday night, Gainesville Police said.

Henry Chambers Jr., 58, of Gainesville, got into an argument with the man at McDonald’s after someone handed both of them a burger, at 3826 SW 40th Blvd., according to an arrest report. 

The two men don’t know each other, the report said.

The man told police Chambers raised a razor blade with a black handle above his head and swung at him while yelling, “You stole from me,” the report said. 

The man feared Chambers would cut him, the report said. He dropped his drink, hamburger and backpack as he jumped away from Chambers. 

A witness told police he saw and heard the argument but didn’t see Chambers threaten the man with a razor blade, police said.

Chambers told police the man had called him a racial slur but nothing else happened, the report said. 

He later admitted to having an argument over the burger but insisted it wasn’t violent.

Chambers had a razor blade matching the man’s description, police said.

He was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. 

He is being held in the Alachua County Jail in lieu of a $50,000 bond, according to jail records.

Contact Jessica Curbelo at jcurbelo@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @jesscurbelo