crime tape
crime tape

A man driving a stolen car crashed into another vehicle and then pedestrians, sending a woman and her child to a hospital Friday night.

It’s unclear which vehicle hit the woman and the baby in a stroller, said the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Lt. Jon Schabruch. The child was transported to a medical center as a precaution.

“The mother appears to be OK,” he said. “The child seemed to be fine.”

Before the crash, deputies saw the suspect driving “erratically,” Schabruch said. The deputies chased him but let him go because he continued to drive that way.

At about 5:50 p.m. at Southwest 24th Avenue and 19th Court, the driver of a stolen white Dodge Charger, t-boned a Toyota RAV4 with two passengers, authorities said. One of the vehicles then hit the woman and her child.

The condition of the two passengers is unclear, Schabruch said.

The deputies pulled into a nearby neighborhood and saw the crash, authorities said. The driver of the stolen vehicle ran away, and it’s unclear which direction he went.

Gainesville Police and Florida Highway Patrol are also working on the incident, Schabruch said.

No arrests have been made as of Friday evening.

Contact Katherine Wallace-Fernandez at kwallacefernandez@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @katwf98.