<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-956aa27a-7fff-fa74-8c99-33fdb9f59e34">Shirley</span></p>

Shirley

A Gainesville man was arrested Sunday after he was accused of pointing a laser that may have been connected to a firearm at a Gainesville Police officer.

Joseph Patrick Shirley, 21, was charged with aggravated assault on an officer, misuse of a laser device, possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute and criminal mischief, said GPD Lt. Joy Robinson. 

At about 6:55 a.m. Sunday, Ofc. Katie Boyett was called to investigate anonymous reports of gunshots being fired from a black vehicle on the 3400 block of NW 38th St., officials said. Neighbors reported their vehicles and houses had bullet holes in them.

When Boyett arrived, a laser was aimed at her from a parked black vehicle, Gainesville Police said. Boyett was “in immediate fear of being shot and took evasive action to protect herself.”

When Boyett confronted Shirley, who was the only person in the vehicle, she found a Smith & Wesson 9 mm pistol with a laser sight, multiple live rounds, empty shell casings, 91 grams of cannabis, three THC vape packages and drug equipment to sell cannabis, police said.

No weapon was used during the incident, Robinson said.

Further charges for criminal mischief are pending, police said.

Shirley remained in the Alachua County Jail on Monday in lieu of a $100,000 bond.

Contact Katherine Wallace-Fernandez at kwallacefernandez@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @katwf98.

Shirley