<p>UF’s chapter of Young Americans for Freedom’s banner hangs on the Plaza of the Americas. The “Build the Wall” banner was removed three times.</p>

UF’s chapter of Young Americans for Freedom’s banner hangs on the Plaza of the Americas. The “Build the Wall” banner was removed three times.

A $30 banner resembling a brick wall reading “BUILD THE WALL!” was hung above Plaza of the Americas on Monday night.

The next morning, it was gone.

UF’s chapter of Young Americans for Freedom, the conservative student organization that put up the sign, contacted University Police and replaced the sign for $40, said Dylan Finucan, a group member and 19-year-old UF political science sophomore.

But the second sign was taken down at noon. The organization put it back up, only for it to be cut up in the evening, Finucan said. As of Thursday night, no charges have been filed but some are pending, said UF spokesperson Steve Orlando.

The group has a permit from the UF Student Activities and Involvement Division of Student Affairs to hang its banner, Orlando said.

UPD and Student Affairs used the incident as an educational opportunity, Orlando said. It’s rare that students remove other students’ banners.

“Those involved were able to learn about the First Amendment and what people’s rights are in these circumstances,” Orlando said.

Organization members filmed two incidents of the banner being taken down. Finucan said he believes at least eight students were involved.

Finucan recorded a video of the students walking away with the banner on Tuesday. In the video, Finucan says, “So you guys are gonna steal our property?” An unknown student replies, “I don’t care about your sign.”

Finucan said he is disappointed by UF students’ reactions to the banner.

“It’s just unfortunate, especially on a campus where there should be diversity of thought and tolerance of opposing views,” Finucan said.