<p>Sarah MacLennan holds one of the adoptable kittens in the Humane Society of North Central Florida's kitten room.</p>

Sarah MacLennan holds one of the adoptable kittens in the Humane Society of North Central Florida's kitten room.

Building confidence and helping cats find homes goes hand in paw for the Humane Society of North Central Florida.

On Tuesday, about 22 parents and children attended an informational meeting about the Purrs and Tales Summer Reading Program. Beginning on June 11, children ages 5-12 can practice their reading skills by reading aloud to cats with adult supervision, said Sarah MacLennan, the director of volunteer programs.

The program at the north campus will take place on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the third summer in a row, McLennan said.

MacLennan, 31, said she has been able to watch this program’s impact on both the children and the cats over the years. Last summer, one extremely shy cat came out of her shell thanks to one persistent reader, MacLennan said.

“It was just that reader coming in, reading out loud and just sitting with her that really got that cat to come out and be a little bit more social,” MacLennan said. “Shortly after that, this cat did get adopted, so it really does help the animals.”

Often, the cats will curl up in the readers’ laps as they listen, providing a non-judgemental audience for children who might not be comfortable reading in front of people yet, MacLennan said.

“There has been some research that shows they do a little bit better reading to audiences like the cats instead of reading out loud to their teachers, friends or even their parents,” MacLennan said.

Those who wish to continue on with the program can attend a training session where they can tour the facility’s eight cat rooms, one of which is reserved for kittens, as well as learn a little bit about cat safety, MacLennan said.

The Humane Society requests a $10 fee so participants can purchase a volunteer shirt, but if there are any financial constraints, it can be waived, MacLennan said.

“We just want people who love cats and love reading to come out and spend some time with us,” MacLennan said.

Those who are interested can email volunteer@humanesocietyncfl.org for more information.

Wynn Oulman, 41, attended the first meeting with her daughter Ever Oulman, 7, after they saw advertisements for it on several Facebook groups such as the Gainesville Word of Mouth group.

Wynn Oulman was already interested in volunteering at an animal shelter once a week over summer, so this opportunity really caught her eye, she said.

“We’re excited to do it because Ever is really into reading right now,” Wynn Oulman said. “We’ll be excited to pick up books and to help the cats get adopted.”