<p>James Edwards</p>

James Edwards

A 61-year-old man is accused of killing his stepson in his home after fighting with him about a damaged car.

On Monday night, James Edwards was arrested and accused of murder for allegedly shooting Jacob Knight, 24, in the chest after Knight accidentally damaged Edwards’ car on the way to a local store, according to an Alachua County Sheriff’s Office arrest report. 

Edwards claimed Knight was beating him, so he shot his stepson with a gun he kept on the nightstand by his bed, according to the report. A witness tried to break up the fight but noticed Knight was shot when she pulled him away. 

Deputies noted Edwards had injuries to his face after the incident, according to the report. Edwards told the 911 operator he shot Knight and stayed on the line until law enforcement arrived on the scene.

Edwards told authorities he is a registered nurse, but authorities wrote he didn’t aid Knight at any point. Knight died from his injuries.

Deputies wrote Edwards was drinking, but the witness, who wished to remain anonymous, told The Alligator he barely had anything to drink. 

County records show Edwards was previously arrested for domestic battery in 2013.

“I never want to look at him again, but he was not a bad person,” the witness said Tuesday night.

Edwards remains in the Alachua County Jail on a $1 million bond on a first degree murder charge as of Tuesday night, according to county records.

James Edwards