Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Voter registration deadline hits Alachua County

<p dir="ltr"><span>Harry Jones, a 61-year-old formerly incarcerated Alachua County resident, registers to vote Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2019, at the Alachua County Supervisor of Elections office. Jones, who has been out of prison for 13 years, had his right to vote restored after Amendment 4 passed in the 2018 midterm election. Tuesday was the first day Amendment 4 was put into effect. About 50 people registered to vote in Alachua County, said TJ Pyche, the elections office spokesperson.</span></p>

Harry Jones, a 61-year-old formerly incarcerated Alachua County resident, registers to vote Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2019, at the Alachua County Supervisor of Elections office. Jones, who has been out of prison for 13 years, had his right to vote restored after Amendment 4 passed in the 2018 midterm election. Tuesday was the first day Amendment 4 was put into effect. About 50 people registered to vote in Alachua County, said TJ Pyche, the elections office spokesperson.

If you haven’t registered to vote yet, your time is running out. 

Tuesday marks the last day Gainesville residents can register to vote or change their party affiliation for the country’s presidential preference primaries and the city’s local elections. Both will happen March 17, said TJ Pyche, the spokesperson for the Alachua County Supervisor of Elections.

Sixteen names are on the sample democratic ballot for the presidential primaries, although eight are no longer running

Among those still in the race are Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Michael Bloomberg, Pete Buttigieg, Tulsi Gabbard, Amy Klobuchar, Tom Steyer and Elizabeth Warren. 

Donald Trump and other low-polling candidates make up the Republican ballot

Voters will also decide on three seats on the Gainesville City Commission that are open — at-large, District 2, and District 3 seats, Pyche said. 

Former mayoral candidate Scherwin Henry, suspended attorney Gabe Kaimowitzformer bridal shop owner Paul Rhodenizer and legal aid Reina Saco are currently bidding for the Commission at-large seat. 

Commissioner Harvey Ward Jr. is running for re-election in District 2, challenged by real estate consultant David Walle. David Arreola is also running for re-election in District 3, challenged by former mayoral candidate Jennifer Reid. 

People can register to vote online or at a local voter registration agency.

Contact Hope Dean at hdean@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @hope_m_dean.