Florida earns sixth straight Gators Invitational title

Annabell Fuller shot 5-under-par and won the individual tournament

<p>Maria Torres watches her shot during the SunTrust Gator Women's Golf Invitational on Saturday, March 11, 2017 at the Mark Bostick Golf Course in Gainesville. </p>

Maria Torres watches her shot during the SunTrust Gator Women's Golf Invitational on Saturday, March 11, 2017 at the Mark Bostick Golf Course in Gainesville. 

The Florida women’s golf team defended its home turf and captured its sixth straight win at Mark Bostick Golf Course — a week after the men’s team.

The Gators entered Tuesday while they trailed the Ole Miss Rebels by six strokes after poor performance Monday. Led by sophomore Annabell Fuller, the Gators put together their best round and shot a collective 2-under-par. Ole Miss shot 4-over-par, and the two teams were named co-champions.

Fuller came into the third round of play one shot back from the leaders. But the pressure didn’t get to her.  The sophomore shot an absurd 4-under-par 66 in the final round, breaking her previous low of 67, which she set in the first round Sunday.  

The leader began her day on the fourth hole due to the shotgun-style start. She pared her first nine holes and remained ever consistent at 1-under-par. She elevated to another level during the second half of her round and knocked in four birdies, including three straight on 16, 17 and 18. Fuller finished three strokes above the runner-up and was one of two golfers to card a 66 over the course of the tournament. 

Her total score of 205 is the third lowest in program history.

“Annabell is such a special kid and competitor,” head coach Emily Glaser said.

“She wants to win and even more so this week. Today she was flawless — certainly in her physical game, but also mentally, she was so focused.”

Fuller wasn’t the only Gator to shine Tuesday. 

All of her teammates had their best rounds of the tournament. Sophomore Marina Escobar shot a 1-under-par 69, tying for 12th. Junior Jenny Kim tied her tournament low with a 1-over-par 71 and tied for 15th. Sophomore Maisie Filler shot 2-over-par and finished just inside the top 40. 

Junior Clara Manzalini competed as an individual, shot 5-over-par for the tournament and finished in a tie for 12th. Senior Addie Baggarly didn’t compete Tuesday due to injury.

Glaser called the win one of the most special moments in her time as a Gator. 

Florida will look to build off the momentum next week as it travels up to Columbia, South Carolina, to compete in the Gamecock Invitational.

Contact Michael Hull at mhull@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Michael_Hull33

Michael Hull

Michael Hull is a fourth-year journalism sports & media major and a sports writer at The Alligator. He hosts the weekly sports podcast and has worked on staff for five semesters. In the past, Hull has served as the sports editor, the men's and women's golf beat writer, the volleyball beat writer and the football beat writer.