Wednesday, October 27, 2021
METRO  |  CRIME

Four crashes closed part of Interstate 75 Thursday afternoon

I-75 reopened around 5:40 p.m.

<p></p>

Four car crashes closed down Interstate 75 Thursday afternoon for about two hours at the 403-mile marker. 

The crashes followed each other in a sequence of events, said Patrick Riordan, spokesperson for the Florida Highway Patrol. He said he is unsure when the crashes all occurred and what caused the first crash but believes the other three were linked to the first. 

The first crash occurred at 3:31 p.m. and involved a semi-truck and Dodge pickup truck, and  the second involved two semi-trucks, Riordan said. The third crash was between a Dodge truck and a white Nissan. He said he didn’t know what vehicles or how many were involved in the fourth crash.

Passengers suffered minor injuries, said Sgt. Frank Kinsey, spokesperson for the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office. Riordan said no one involved in the crashes was taken to a hospital.

Emergency vehicles were on the scene from 3:39 p.m. until about 5:45 p.m. Kinsey said. Vehicles were towed off of the roadway. 

FHP is investigating the crash, according to a statement from the Alachua Police Department. 

The Florida Department of Transportation directed traffic off of I-75, and access to the road was closed until after 5:40 p.m., Kinsey said.

This is a developing story, please stay tuned for updates.

Contact Lucille Lannigan at llannigan@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @LucilleLannigan.

Lucille Lannigan

Lucy Lannigan is a second-year journalism student from Key West. She works as a news assistant on the metro team. When Lucy’s not reporting, she loves to paint and spend time outside.