Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Florida withdraws scholarship offer from 2023 quarterback commit

Marcus Stokes announced UF withdrew its offer after a video of him using a racial slur surfaced

<p>A Florida football helmet, pictured during a game against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 4, 2021.</p>

A Florida football helmet, pictured during a game against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 4, 2021.

Florida withdrew a scholarship offer for 2023 quarterback prospect Marcus Stokes, the former Gator commit announced on Twitter Sunday. The move comes after a video surfaced on social media Nov. 18 of Stokes using a racial slur.

“My intention was never to hurt anybody and I recognize that even when going along with a song, my words still carry a lot of weight,” Stokes said in a statement.

In the video, Stokes was listening  to a song in a car and said the slur while rapping the lyrics.

Stokes is a four-star quarterback prospect from Nease High School in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. He committed to UF July 7 and for most of the season was the Gators’ only quarterback in the 2023 class.

Rick Hurtado, UF director of football communications, said the program is unable to comment on the situation. NCAA rules prohibit schools from commenting on recruits before they sign.

Florida commit Roderick Kearney sent out a statement on Twitter about Florida rescinding Stokes’ offer.

“Great kid with a lot of heart,” Kearney said. “As young men in this society we must be careful with the things we do, say, or post. Everything is under a microscope.”

Kirk Mowl, a 19-year-old UF international business junior, said it’s unfortunate Stokes lost his offer, but it makes sense in the current climate.

“When you are in a position of importance, you just have to be more aware of what you say and how it affects others and the implications it has,” Mowl said.

Florida landed a commitment from high four-star quarterback Jaden Rashada Nov. 10, putting Stokes’ position in the Gators’ recruiting class in question. Rashada, formerly committed to Miami, is the highest-rated player in UF’s 2023 class per the 247Sports Composite rankings.

Stokes is the 23rd ranked quarterback and 392nd player in the composite rankings.

Contact Topher Adams at tadams@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @Topher_Adams.

Topher Adams

Topher Adams is a fourth-year communications major and in his fourth semester with the Alligator. He previously covered football, baseball and women's basketball. He also enjoys professional lacrosse and Major League Soccer.