Opinions generic
Opinions generic

As you try to figure out where your classes are or find out what bars you can get into, you’ll probably start to notice us, too, around Gainesville.

Whether you come across a breaking news post from one of our many Instagram accounts (@TheAlligator_, @AlligatorSports, @TheFloridaAve and @ElCaimanGNV) or you see a colorful front page peeking through the window of an orange newspaper box, The Independent Florida Alligator wants to be an essential part of your Gainesville experience.

We print our newspapers every Monday, and we publish our stories online throughout the week. We spend hours every Sunday writing and editing the stories you read on these pages from our overcrowded and somewhat abandoned office right off 13th Street. 

From the Gators’ newest star football commitment to the latest restaurant closing for a new luxury apartment complex, we do our best to provide the best coverage in North Central Florida. We cover stories within UF campus and far beyond, bridging the gap between the student and local populations. It’s all Gainesville, and we love to share it. 

Our work isn’t always easy — in fact, it's more surprising when it is. The Alligator is a student-run publication — independent from UF. More than 40 staff members, including editors, reporters, photographers, social team and copy editors make The Alligator possible every week.

The hard work our staff puts in doesn’t go unnoticed. Our reporting on issues like cases of abuse in UF’s athletic department and UF President Ben Sasse’s arrival have been picked up by national outlets. 

For our last year of coverage, the Society of Professional Journalists awarded our publication the Corbin Gwaltney Award for Best All-Around Student Newspaper in the country. So yeah, we’re the best.

It only takes a talented group of ambitious, dedicated students to achieve this feat, and we want you to be a part of it. Let the vibrant Alligator newsroom be part of your college experience just like it was of ours — you won’t regret it. 

The Alligator is opening applications for reporting positions on multiple desks, as well as copy editing and photographer positions. This is your chance to learn more about the community you live in, as well as aid our coverage of the people who live here. 

We employ UF and Santa Fe students, and you don’t have to be a journalism major. 

Being part of The Alligator staff connects students to a large, diverse and distinguished alumni network. Alligator alumni have gone on to positions, fellowships and professional internships at The New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, The Daily Beast, Miami Herald, Tampa Bay Times, Orlando Sentinel, Sun Sentinel, The Palm Beach Post and more. Our alumni include this year’s New York Times fellows, Kalia Richardson and April Rubin, as well as at least four Pulitzer Prize Winners. 

Beyond joining an expansive alumni network, working at The Alligator is a great opportunity to meet other passionate student journalists and make lifelong friendships. Hundreds of successful journalists, authors, writers and more started their careers at The Alligator. We’re ready to continue that tradition and build the next generation of Alligator journalists. Now’s your chance to join!