crime tape
crime tape

A nightclub bouncer is being accused by Gainesville Police of striking a man unconscious Sunday.

Joseph Henley, 18, was charged with aggravated battery.

On Saturday around midnight, at least four bouncers kicked the victim out of Simon’s nightclub, located at 8 S. Main St., according to the arrest report. At some point, the victim walked away and into the street.

Henley

As the group of bouncers followed him, the victim took off his shirt, according to the report. Henley was one of the bouncers and was holding an expandable baton. He punched the victim on the right side of his face and hit him with the baton on the left side of his face.

The strike from the baton caused the victim to go unconscious and fall to the ground, according to the report. Video surveillance caught the whole incident.

The victim was lying unconscious in a pool of blood, according to the report. Bystanders did not help and only recorded the victim on the ground with their cell phones.

The security staff did not call the police or paramedics and left the victim on the ground in the blood, according to the arrest report.

A GPD officer found the victim lying on the ground 12 minutes later and called emergency services to the scene, according to the police.

Simon’s employees and security staff denied knowing what happened to the victim when questioned by GPD.

The victim was sent to the intensive care unit and was unable to speak, according to the report. He had fractures to his face and spinal fluid leaking from his nose.

After being read his Miranda rights, Henley acknowledged that he hit the victim in the face while holding a baton, according to the report. He said he hit the victim because they ran at him. He also acknowledged that he offered no medical help and didn’t call the police.

Henley remains in Alachua County Jail in lieu of a $75,000 bail.

Follow Devoun Cetoute on Twitter @devoun_cetoute and contact him at dcetoute@alligator.org.