UF WiFi to complete switch to Eduroam network this Spring

<p>Thomas Sit, a 24-year-old UF public health graduate student, takes a break from his work to use his smartphone in Library West on Sunday. Sit said he probably accessed the internet more on his phone than his laptop, mainly because the phone was more convenient for him.</p>

Thomas Sit, a 24-year-old UF public health graduate student, takes a break from his work to use his smartphone in Library West on Sunday. Sit said he probably accessed the internet more on his phone than his laptop, mainly because the phone was more convenient for him.

UF students and faculty will soon be able to access the internet from almost anywhere in the world.

Eduroam first became available to UF students in March 2014. By the end of Spring, all internet users will be on the Eduroam network.

Eduroam, an international roaming service network, allows UF students, faculty and staff with active GatorLink credentials to access a secure internet connection in more than 6,000 locations. This is 1,000 more than were available in 2014, said Tracy Gale, the communications manager for UF Information Technology.

Whether UF community members travel to study abroad or take internships elsewhere, Eduroam will give accessibility to the internet across different universities and other facilities around the globe, Gale said.

“Since UF became a member of the Eduroam network, our people see this network option on their laptop or other mobile device and know they have a secure WiFi connection,” Gale said. “When you travel or visit another institution without Eduroam, this isn’t always the case.”

The project was split into three phases, over 18 months, UFIT and the Division of Student Affairs are expecting the switch to be completed by the summer. The project is in its final phase.

“Phasing out the UF Network option improves the experience for our students, faculty and staff who travel,” said Saira Hasnain, the associate CIO and senior director of UFIT. “It’s the one wireless network for all Gators whether they are here in Gainesville or studying abroad.”