Weimer bandit steals faculty laptop, University Police said

Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Daron Dean sensed something was wrong when he couldn’t hear his feel-good country music Monday morning.

After he realized his laptop was unplugged from his classroom’s projector and stolen, the UF photojournalism adjunct professor called University Police.

At around 9 a.m. every Monday, Dean sets up his laptop in his Weimer Hall classroom to play music before his students come in for Advanced Photojournalism.

On Monday, he left the classroom unlocked for about 10 minutes when he went to go pick up a cup of coffee at the Reitz Union Starbucks. When he came back, his $3,300 personal 15-inch MacBook Pro was gone.

Students who were in the room five minutes before class started did not see anything, he said.

UPD officers are still investigating the case, UPD spokesperson Major Brad Barber said.

Police did not reveal the suspect’s name but have identified him through security camera footage, Barber said. Officers have not retrieved the laptop.

He backed up his personal photos, but Dean said he lost his thesis. He’s supposed to graduate in Spring from the Savannah College of Art and Design, he said.

On Tuesday, he drove to the nearest Apple store in Jacksonville to buy a new laptop.

“It’s the end of the semester, and I’ve got kids counting on me,” Dean said.

Contact Alyssa Ramos at aramos@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @LysKRamos