Dear Gator Nation,

I hope your summer has been relaxing and productive thus far. This is my first update for you as your Student Body president. I have been working with the rest of my administration to lay the groundwork for a year of positive changes on campus to benefit every Gator.

First, my pledge to increase minority enrollment rates at UF with the Bridges Minority Outreach Program. This program is designed to bridge the gap between UF and traditionally underrepresented students. It gives high school students across the state an opportunity to have a mentor, challenge expectations and understand why UF can be their second home. Applications to be a part of the program can be found online and will close June 5 at 5:00 p.m.

Second, I am glad to announce that with the help of former Student Body President Smith Meyers, I was able to take a big step forward in fulfilling my campaign promise to increase college affordability. That’s why having a Bright Futures textbook stipend for the Fall and Spring and Summer Bright Futures is a great victory for students. Before, Bright Futures only covered tuition for the Fall and Spring semesters. Because nine credits of Summer courses are required for graduation, students had to find a way to pay for their tuition without Bright Futures. This is especially burdensome for Innovation Academy students who are required to take courses every Summer. To now have a textbook stipend in the Fall and Spring along with Summer Bright Futures is just one of the ways my administration is working to make college affordable for any student.

Third, I am working with UF President Kent Fuchs and Vice President of Student Affairs David Parrott on the Graduation Commencement Task Force. Parrot and I will be co-chairing this task force that will include the new UF Chief Diversity Officer upon selection, Senior Director of Multicultural and Diversity Affairs Will Atkins and other UF administrators and students to ensure graduations in the future are both respectful of students’ expressions and celebrations of the achievements made.

Fourth, we are in the process of setting up digital office hours for students to voice their concerns with their Student Government, even if they are out of town or their schedules don’t allow them to visit us during office hours. This will be going live later this Summer, so be on the lookout for a how-to guide to schedule a time to speak with me digitally. We cannot wait to meet you via “Meeting-U!”

This year I hope to accomplish a wide array of initiatives for our Student Body, starting with student engagement. Right now applications are open to join the Summer staffs for several agencies within SG. If you want to work to make positive changes on campus but are unsure of where to start, this is a great opportunity. Applications will close May 25 at 5:00 p.m. and can be found at sg.ufl.edu/get-involved. Login and click on the Staff link on the right-hand side 

I’m looking forward to seeing the great work that we can accomplish this year. Have a great Summer if you are here for classes, back home, working or halfway across the world. Thank you for taking the time to stay informed, and as always…

Go Gators!

Ian Green

Student Body President

Ian Green is UF student body president.