<p>Coach Dan Mullen</p>

Coach Dan Mullen

The Florida Gators football team shored up their depth at wide receiver by securing a commitment from former Penn State receiver Justin Shorter, who was a five-star prospect coming out of high school.

Shorter announced his commitment on Twitter Sunday afternoon, becoming the third former five-star recruit to transfer to Florida this offseason along with linebacker Brenton Cox, who will be eligible for next season, and running back Lorenzo Lingard.

The former Penn State receiver caught just three passes his freshman season in 2018 and opted to redshirt. Last season, he hauled in 12 catches for 137 yards in 10 games.

Shorter was the No. 1 wide receiver recruit in the country and No. 8 overall in the class of 2018.

He will walk into a wide receiver room that took a few hits due to graduation. Receivers Van Jefferson, Freddie Swain, Josh Hammond and Tyrie Cleveland all graduated, leaving the Gators with just five wide receivers before taking into account transfers and incoming recruits.

Florida signed four-star receiver Jaquavion Fraziars in the early signing window and currently has commitments from four-star Xzavier Henderson and three-star Leonard Manuel ahead of National Signing Day on Feb. 5.

Coach Dan Mullen