Thursday, June 30, 2022

Melanie Pena

Staff Writer

Melanie Peña is a freshman majoring in Business (hoping to specialize in pre-law) and journalism. This semester she is the City and County Commission reporter. When she's not writing an article, she's probably designing a graphic or exploring coffee shops in Gainesville.

METRO  |  CITY COUNTY COMMISSION

Gainesville’s first Black Mayor and City Commissioner since Reconstruction is remembered by family

Butler was elected into the city commission in 1969, becoming the first Black man elected to the body since Reconstruction, an era marked by post Civil War opportunities. Later, in 1971, he became the first Black Mayor to hold that office in 100 years. However, he wanted to be remembered for who he was rather than being the first.

METRO  |  CITY COUNTY COMMISSION

Cynthia Chestnut begins her term as City Commissioner

With her hand on the Bible her mother gave her 49 years ago, Cynthia Chestnut repeated the oath of office during her City Commissioner swearing-in ceremony. On Thursday morning, Chestnut was sworn in as At-Large Seat B City Commissioner outside Gainesville City Hall after winning the special runoff election Jan. 25. The position will be a four-year term with elections every two years starting this year, according to a City of Gainesville press release. 

More articles »

More media »