A guide to buying local in Gainesville

If you haven't figured it out yet, Gainesville is a great city for food. Unlike other chain-ridden college campuses around the state, Gainesville has a local flair and food culture that make it obviously unique.

With a vast collection of farmers, bakers, plant growers and prepared-food connoisseurs, Gainesville is saturated with local foodie pride. Locally grown food is fresher, contains less pesticides and preservatives (if any at all), and supports the local economy, which directly benefits the city you live in rather than a big, unseen corporation somewhere.

One great thing you can do to stimulate the local economy is purchase produce and other goods from a farmers market. The most awesome benefit of this is having direct face-to-face contact with the individuals that grow your food. You can ask them exactly what went into producing it and they can provide you with answers and educate you.

It is an enlightening and satisfying experience to know exactly where your food comes from and how it got to the plate.

Here is a list and brief description of where you can buy locally produced food. Check them out and support Gainesville!

Union Street Farmers Market

Wednesday from 4-7 p.m.

111 E. University Ave.

Union Street or "The Downtown Market" is a fantastic market and also the most centrally located one. It is the most popular among students, but many Gainesville locals also frequent it. It is located in the heart of downtown surrounding Bo Diddley Community Plaza and offers an assortment of items, including produce, candles, sunflowers, popsicles, candy, jewelry and empanadas!

Haile Village farmers market

Saturday from 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m.

Southwest 91st Terrace

The Haile market is pretty out of the way for most students and also starts at 8:30 a.m. on a Saturday, which might as well be the crack of dawn for many college-aged people. However, if you do get the chance to make it over to Haile, you will find a well-run market in a quaint little shopping plaza. The vibe is nice and everyone seems to be really excited to be so productive that early in the morning. Many of the vendors are the same as Union Street, but there are also new faces. There are more crafts and prepared foods here than produce.

Thornebrook Village Farmers Market

Friday from 4-7 p.m.

2441 NW 43rd St.

This market, which just got its start this summer, is run by the women of The Painted Table. It is located in the courtyard of the Thornebrook Village Shops and mainly caters to Millhopper locals. The market is small, only featuring a few vendors each week, but it plans on growing and improving. It is about half produce and half prepared foods.

Alachua County Farmers Market

Saturday from 8:30 a.m.- 1 p.m.

5920 NW 13th St.

This market is a bit of a drive as well, but it definitely has the best selection and the most produce. In fact there are virtually no prepared foods or crafts, and it focuses almost exclusively on farmers. Other items offered here are fresh eggs, chicken and an array of plants.

Citizens Co-Op

Monday - Saturday from 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Sundays from 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.

435 S. Main St.

Newly opened over the summer in Gainesville! A co-op is basically a community owned grocery store that specializes in local goods. Not only do they have local produce, but also many of the items that get sold at the farmers markets are available here full time. Additionally, some products from local restaurants (ex. Satchel's salad dressing) are available.

Ward's Supermarket

Monday - Saturday from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Sunday from 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.

515 NW 23rd Ave.

Ward's is the only locally owned and operated grocery store in Gainesville (don't be fooled by Mother Earth which is a chain.) It has been in business for over fifty years and offers unique products, large selections and low-priced produce. Definitely worth checking out either for your full grocery needs or picking up a few products that you wouldn't be able to find anywhere else in Gainesville.

For more from Becca Goldring, check out www.becca-bakes.com.