<p>Right-side hitter Alex Holston swings for a kill during Florida's 3-1 win against Miami in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Dec. 6 in the O'Connell Center.</p>

Right-side hitter Alex Holston swings for a kill during Florida's 3-1 win against Miami in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Dec. 6 in the O'Connell Center.

Florida simply couldn’t contain Nikki Taylor.

With a 14-9 set point in the fifth set, Taylor launched through the air and slammed down the match-ending kill for Hawai’i.

Taylor’s 27 kills were too much as the No. 16 Rainbow Wahine upset the No. 2 Gators 3-2 (25-18, 22-25, 25-22, 17-25, 9-15) in Honolulu early Saturday morning.

The loss is UF’s first of the season.

Florida (5-1) stifled Hawai’i (7-1) in the first set, holding the Rainbow Wahine to a .132 hitting percentage.

But UH turned the match around in a back-and-forth second set that contained 20 ties and 11 lead changes, with Hawai’I ultimately stealing the set 25-22.

It looked like the Gators would cruise for the win after winning the third set 25-22, hitting a match-high .419.

But then a light turned on for the Rainbow Wahine.

That light was Taylor, who thumped a combined 10 kills in the last two sets, leading Hawai’i past Florida. The 6-foot-4 junior opposite hitter added three service aces, three total blocks and 17 digs to her 27 kills on 63 swings.

Despite the loss, Florida did have individual bright spots.

Senior defensive specialist Nikki O’Rourke recorded a career-high 25 digs. Junior right-side hitter Alex Holston led the Gators with a season-high 19 kill performance.

The match was the first five-setter of the season for both teams, illustrating just how thrilling it was.

Florida will have a chance to end its road trip on a high note, as they play San Diego State on Saturday at 8:30 p.m.

Follow Patrick Pinak on Twitter @Pinakk12