It would be hard to imagine things getting any worse for LSU.

For a program just two years removed from the NCAA Final Four, the Tigers (8-14, 1-7 Southeastern Conference) have fallen into a sudden firestorm of failure, criticism and calamity.

The Tigers, after beginning the season 7-4, dropped nine of their next 10 games, which led to the dismissal of long-time head coach John Brady.

Brady was reportedly asked to resign by Athletics Director Skip Bertman but refused and was let go after the team's 81-72 loss to Alabama.

In his farewell news conference, the third-winningest head coach in the school's history had trouble holding back tears as he recounted a career highlighted by shaping lives and turning around a program mired in NCAA violations.

Brady's 11-year tenure included two first-place finishes in the SEC to go along with a Final Four appearance in 2006 and a record of 192-139 overall.

The sudden firing of Brady midseason has created a plethora of questions and angry retorts by his peers.

After LSU's 47-45 loss to No. 4 Tennessee, Volunteers head coach Bruce Pearl called the move "embarrassing" and "scary," according to ESPN.

After UF's win against Georgia at home this past Saturday, UF coach Billy Donovan chimed in on the situation.

"I saw a comment that said he didn't win enough games," Donovan said. "I believe it's deeper than that. I'm not there to be able to pass any judgment. But I think a lot of times for people on the outside looking in, sometimes there's more that's maybe going on there than maybe you realize."

The problem for LSU at this point is broader than its head coach. The Tigers find themselves halfway through a season that can't end soon enough. LSU is trying to salvage its turbulent season and will try to play the role of spoiler from here on out.

After nearly shocking Tennessee in Knoxville, it's obvious the hapless Tigers are playing inspired basketball. UF is next on the list, and you can rest assured the Gators (19-5, 6-3 SEC) are expecting LSU to play like it has nothing to lose.

"When someone's back is against the wall, all they can do is come out swinging," guard Jai Lucas said. "You have to be real pissed. Usually that doesn't happen until the end of the season, so it kind of takes your breath away."

LSU is now headed by former associate head coach Butch Pierre, who inherits a team with talented but unproven players.

Freshman forward Anthony Randolph is averaging 13.7 points and 8.5 rebounds per game, while junior guard Marcus Thornton leads the way at 19.5 points per game.

Donovan echoed his point guard's sentiment and spoke about dealing with a team playing more on passion than anything else.

"I think in light of everything that has happened over the last week with LSU and John Brady, I think in a lot of respects, LSU's team is probably looking at this right now as a starting over period, a new year and a new season," Donovan said. "You look at this Tennessee team, and Tennessee has the best record in our league and one of the best teams in the country. They go in there, have a chance to win and could have possibly won the game. I think we will see a team that will come in and play really well on Wednesday."

UF is coming off a 77-67 win against Georgia where Donovan criticized his team's defensive play and mindset. Donovan continued to stress the importance of playing on both sides of the ball and talked about his concerns moving forward.

The Gators have allowed 70 points or more in each of their SEC losses this season.

"What I've been the most upset about is our approach mentally on that end of the floor," Donovan said. "It's collectively as a group, and we've got to start to make that decision as a team as it comes out into the light. We've got to confront this right now."