HAPPENSTANCE: Locals spend weekends picking berries at Cross Creek field

Phillip Whittington, 5, picks a blueberry at South Moon Farm in Cross Creek Sunday afternoon. Phillip picked blueberries with his mom, Susan Whittington, and her sister, Megan Romano, for their families and for Romano's daycare class. The class is going to make blueberry pies Tuesday, Romano said.

The organic blueberry farm, located about 25 minutes from UF's campus at 15912 South CR 325, has been open for people to pick their own berries since the mid-1980s, said Judy Harris, a Cross Creek resident who volunteered at the farm Memorial Day weekend.

South Moon is open for picking on weekends from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.

With about 2.5 acres of blueberry bushes to search for ripe berries, most customers spend at least 30 minutes in the field, and most pick about five pounds, said Mickey Angell, a Cross Creek resident who worked Sunday.

The farm provides colorful buckets for customers to put their collected fruit in. When people return to the front of the field, the blueberries are poured out of the bucket, weighed on an old scale and paid for by the pound. Each pound costs $3.