Here's a shocker.

After playing games against tradition-laden programs Tennessee and Miami, as well as playing a Hawaii team that was in the Sugar Bowl last year, here's what defensive line coach Dan McCarney said about Mississippi:

"I don't think there's any doubt they are (better than the other opponents)," McCarney said. "I think their offense is definitely better than Tennessee's."

Apparently, tradition isn't everything. So far this season, UF's defense and special teams - not the offense - have been the story for the Gators (3-0, 1-0 Southeastern Conference). Now, it's time to see if this defensive unit is capable of carrying this team against a more explosive SEC squad.

"Tennessee had a heckuva offensive line. I think Mississippi's is better," McCarney said. "Tennessee had a good, solid quarterback. I think this one's better."

It could just be "coach speak"- the way coaches use the same phrases to not sound controversial - but the numbers show this is a Rebels team capable of scoring. Mississippi hasn't scored fewer than 17 points in a game so far, and the only game quarterback Jevan Snead has struggled in was last week's loss against Vanderbilt in which he threw four interceptions. In the three other games, Snead has six touchdowns and three picks while the Rebels have had six scores on the ground.

So, now, the question remains: Is UF's defense as good as the numbers it has put up, or is it just a product of playing bad offenses?

Either way, fans have a hard time forgetting about a 2007 season where the Gators defense constantly struggled.

"I don't think (the doubts) are going to stop until we finish the whole season," defensive lineman Justin Trattou said. "We know (about the struggles last year) ourselves. We don't need anyone to tell us."

Apparently, some of the opposing quarterbacks could have used some foreshadowing of what the Gators defense was going to do in 2008. The defense has allowed just one passing touchdown while picking off five throws.

"We've been getting after their quarterbacks," free safety Major Wright said. "We feel like if we can get after their quarterbacks, we can do pretty good."

Tim Tebow has only been able to smile when asked about the defense. So far, Tebow's crew hasn't had to rush for touchdown after touchdown this year.

Teams still know what this offense is capable of, and the SEC is always known for its physical style of play.

"The more you get into the league … people are able to scheme you a little bit better," running backs coach Kenny Carter said. "No week is easy in this league."