In six months, second-year UF law student John Hunt will have one extra year of free health care.

After the U.S. House of Representatives passed historic health reform March 21, Hunt, like many fellow students, will be able to remain on his parent’s health insurance plan until he is 26 years old, an increase from the current 22.

“I think it’s a great idea,” Hunt said of the new bill.

Robert French, a 26-year-old UF political science major, is covered by UF’s health insurance plan but, like Hunt, spoke positively about the rewards younger students will reap with Congress’ approval of the health care bill.

“I think that you should be able to have health care on your parents until you’re financially secure by yourself,” French said.

Taking effect in about six months, this change will be one of the first elements of the bill people will be able to see. The changes to allow dependent children to remain on their parents’ plans for an additional four years comes at a time when the slow job market hinders many college students and graduates from being insured by employment.

In February 2010, the unemployment rate for college graduates 25 or older was 5 percent, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.