March 21, 1966: John Due becomes the first African-American to run for state Senate since the days of Reconstruction when he announces his candidacy for the District 6 seat in Gainesville.

“The poor, the Negroes and the liberals of North Florida need representation,” he said, “and they need a spokesman who will not call them out when it suits his interests to do so.” He fails to win the seat.

March 20, 1982: The Lady Gators take the top spot in the first ever women’s swimming championship sponsored by the NCAA.

Freshman Tracy Caulkins made a big splash, setting new collegiate records in the 100-yard butterfly, 200-yard individual medley, 400-yard individual medley, 200-yard butterfly and 100-yard individual medley.

March 25, 1989: The Independent Florida Alligator operates without an editor-in-chief for the first time in its 17 years of autonomy after editor Derek Catron is suspended by the publisher for refusing to punish an employee.

Tempers flare after the results of a dirty joke contest are published in the weekly entertainment section, “Applause.” When Catron stands behind the paper’s actions and refuses to reprimand the “Applause” editor, the publishing board suspends him for a week.