<p>The Apple Fritters at Peach Valley Cafe are brought to the table in a brown paper bag, shaken up in sugar and cinnamon and served on a plate with a yogurt dipping sauce.</p>

The Apple Fritters at Peach Valley Cafe are brought to the table in a brown paper bag, shaken up in sugar and cinnamon and served on a plate with a yogurt dipping sauce.

The most important meal of the day just became essential because September is National Breakfast Month. In Gainesville, we have a wide variety of breakfast joints to take advantage of. To celebrate this wonderful month, here’s our list of the top five restaurants that are bacon up the most egg-cellent morning meals:

Peach Valley Café [3275 SW 34th St.] – With a wholesome environment that translates directly to the food, this is the perfect place to take visiting parents. Start with an order of Apple Fritters ($4), which are served with a yogurt dipping sauce and shaken up in a brown paper bag full of sugar and cinnamon before you devour them. After, go for an order of Buttermilk Drop Biscuits in Sausage Gravy ($4.90) or a Philly Steak and Egg Croissant Benedict ($9.25). If you still have room, try a Peaches and Cream Muffin, which comes split, warm and grilled ($2.45).

The Jones Eastside [401 NE 23rd Ave.] – Getting to the Jones is a bit of a trek but always worth it (and luckily there is a second downtown location opening soon). Try the Jones Cakes ($6.50) made in either classic buttermilk-style or the flaxseed-vegan version. Another great choice are the Jones Rancheros ($8.57) served on a toasted corn tortilla with organic black beans, salsa fresca, cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, avocado and sour cream. Don’t forget to grab a side of Eastside Potatoes ($5.50)!

The Flying Biscuit Café [4150 NW 16th Blvd.] – The menu here can be overwhelming, but in the best way, because everything looks (and is) delicious. If you’re craving carbs, go for the Orange-Scented French Toast ($7.50), which is topped with raspberry sauce and honey crème anglaise. The Creamy Dreamy Southern-Style grits ($2) are not to be missed (they come with most entrees) and neither is the Turkey Hash ($9.25) with two over-medium eggs, topped with cheese and served atop slow-roasted turkey pot roast. Get there early or eat at the bar, because the lines are always long.

Bagels and Noodles [1222 W. University Ave.] – This laid-back restaurant is everything you want when you might have — ahem — gone out for beverages the previous night. Everything from the kitschy décor to the friendly staff makes you want to stay for hours chowing down on an Eggel bagel sandwich ($3.76) or one of the massive omelettes ($8 to $9). Why the “noodles” you ask? Well, the original owner teamed up with a Vietnamese co-owner to incorporate Pho and other Asian dishes in the menu. Try ordering a Vietnamese coffee ($2.99) with breakfast — it comes in a French press!