The U.S. Postal Service’s latest plan to regain financial stability by cutting Saturday deliveries has been blocked by Congress.

Although the post office hoped to implement the new schedule Aug. 5, the passing of Congress’ Continuing Resolution bill forced the post office to concede.

Stephen Seewoester, spokesman for the post office’s North Florida branch, declined to comment on the effect it would have on Florida’s post offices. He did say because the decision came from the post office’s Board of Governors, it would apply to offices statewide.

According to the statement from the U.S. Postal Service Board of Governors, which controls the executive operations of the postal service, the agency said they would continue to look for support for a new delivery schedule or other ways to increase revenue.

Carl Williams, senior postal manager of the UF Mail Distribution Center, said changing the delivery schedule wouldn’t have affected mail services on campus.

“We would still have been delivering mail to the students anyways,” he said. “It’s just a normal day for us.”

Luke Lottman, a 20-year-old UF sports management junior, said the new delivery schedule wouldn’t have made a big difference to him.

“You already know it’s closed on Sunday,” he said. “Obviously it’s nice if they’re open all the time, but you just have to plan around it.”