“Touch-A-Truck” raises awareness for burn victims and survivors

Hundreds of dreams were brought to life Saturday at the fourth annual Sweet Dreams “Touch-A-Truck.”

Horns honked as families walked through the maze of service vehicles on Citizens Field. The event provided children with a hands-on educational experience, allowing them to climb into and onto any vehicle of their choice.

“This is fabulous,” TJ Mong, 8, said as he hopped on the laurel green Fish and Wildlife Conservation airboat.

“How does this work?” Andrew Dube, 3, asked a firefighter.

“He loves trucks,” Andrew’s father, Matt Dube, said. “It’s a good way for him to see the real thing and see how this equipment is used. And I want to give him a broader perspective on life.”

By midday, smoke filled the air and families rushed toward the white picnic tables where Gainesville firefighters grilled hot dogs and hamburgers.

Next to the condiments lay a firefighter boot in which they collected donations.

Proceeds benefit Camp Amigo, the Children’s Burn Camp of North Florida, which aims to build a network of support for children who have physical and emotional scars.

“This is a good chance for another few thousand people to know about us,” Rusty Roberts, Camp Amigo’s president and a Tallahassee firefighter, said.

Cassie Null, a 22-year-old burn survivor and Camp Amigo counselor, took a break from stuffing and distributing complimentary black and yellow tote bags to share her camp story.

“You know when you see someone who has the same shirt you have, you go, ‘Oh my gosh! I have that same shirt.’ Well, we’re like, ‘Oh my gosh! I have that same burn,’” Null said. “Yeah, it’s weird, but that’s how much we bond.”

Null was among the first group to attend Camp Amigo, and now she serves as a mentor.

“I got to get both sides,” she said. “I’m not here for me anymore, you know.”