Advice for dealing with life

I’m fortunate enough to be surrounded by absolutely wonderful individuals who constantly provide words of wisdom to guide me through life. Here are some of the best to help you through yours:

“Put yourself first.” –My mom

For as long as I can remember, my mother has encouraged me to put myself above others. We live in a society where we think it’s “selfish” to do this, but my mom doesn’t share this mindset. The reason behind her reasoning is this: family and friends can’t always be there for you. Sometimes they will let you down and other times, they physically can’t be present in your time of need. This is why you need to make yourself your priority and make sure you are the strongest person you can possibly be. That’s why I know it’s okay to say “no” when you need to. It’s okay to take a day off to go exercise or spend some time alone. It’s okay to cut contact with people who bring more harm than good to your life. Don’t let people confuse you into thinking you’re self-centered. You can still give and do generous things for others while making sure all your needs are met first.

“Make mistakes, then get up and move on.” – My dad

My dad has never scolded me for making mistakes. He is very adamant in his belief that every experience, no matter how good or bad, can always be transformed into something of value. Pretty much what this means is: it’s healthy to make mistakes. But if you’re smart, you’ll learn from those mistakes and not forget the lesson you learned. It’s so easy to slip up and wallow in a pool of disappointment, humiliation and sadness. But that gets you nowhere. Instead, every mistake made should be a warning sign for the next time a similar situation occurs and help you grow as an individual.  

“Let the universe take care of you.” – My best friend

Translation: everything is going to be okay. There’s something very calming about being able to take a deep breath and rest assured that, in the end, everything will work out as it should. There was a period of time when I was convinced the universe was out to get me. When I expressed these sentiments to my friend, she replied “I think the world wants you to win, Sophia.” In that moment, my mindset really changed.  It’s true – the universe isn’t out to make your life miserable. Everyone goes through rough times (some rougher than others, for sure), but if you stop panicking for a second and truly believe you will come out stronger than before, you will feel much better. This is what the concept of “letting the universe take care of you” means. It doesn’t mean you should stop being proactive about your life, it means that despite unfortunate situations, life really does want you to emerge victorious.