After several months of investigation, Gainesville Police arrested an employee accused of stealing more than $200,000 from the American Red Cross North Central Florida chapter.

Detectives filed grand theft and scheme to defraud charges against 29-year-old Casey Marie Schmelz, of Gainesville, according to a release.

In June, employees discovered a series of unauthorized transactions that linked back to Schmelz, formerly the emergency services manager of the chapter, according to the release.

The chapter conducted an audit based on an anonymous tip, confirming about 60 instances of fraud. Administrators then fired Schmelz, who had worked at the chapter for about five years, according to the release.

She discovered the username and password of an employee with access to load money onto debit cards that are normally intended for disaster victims to buy food, clothing and other necessities. She used the login information to put money on cards and withdraw the cash from local ATMs.

Since 2011, Schmelz has stolen $203,648.21, said GPD spokesman Officer Ben Tobias. She used the money for personal expenses, like bills, but not all the money has been accounted for.

In a statement, the American Red Cross declared the chapter was aware of the charges and would cooperate with police in the investigation.

A sworn complaint was filed to State Attorney’s office officials, who will determine whether to pursue formal charges.

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 11/1/2013 under the headline "Police: Woman embezzled $200k from Red Cross"