A recent survey of pre-law students found the majority preferred a two-year model for law programs, but UF’s law school is headed in a different direction.

Kaplan Test Prep surveyed nearly 1,400 pre-law students who had taken the LSAT after preparing with Kaplan courses. This is the first time Kaplan has asked about deviating from typical three-year law programs in its survey to pre-law students, two years after President Barack Obama suggested the change during his speech at Birmingham University. Fifty-eight percent of those surveyed preferred the switch to two-year programs.

Glen Stohr, Kaplan’s director of pre-law programs, said the results are indicative of law students who are watching the job market closely.

“These pre-law students — even before they go to school — are looking for a practical route,” said Stohr, a long-time LSAT instructor.

He said the two-year model is attractive because it removes a year of potential debt and gets students into the workforce faster. Removing the third year also presents the possibility of replacing it with more internship opportunities.

But UF Levin College of Law Dean Robert Jerry said if an employer had to choose between a student from either program, they would likely pick the three-year graduates.

He said the college hasn’t started a discussion about removing years yet, but other possible changes within the college are on the horizon.

The college is looking at ways to change its third year to include more “externships,” where students work at law offices under professional practitioners, as well as the introduction of practicum, he said.

Jerry said practicum would bring law professionals into classrooms to teach students the technical aspects of practicing, such as drafting legal documents.

This is on top of the college’s eight clinical programs, where students gain hands-on experience from law clinics within the college.

“I think we can do better,” he said. “We’re doing a lot, but one of our goals is to always continuously improve the quality of our instruction.”

The details are still being hammered out, but Robert said it’s a likely addition to the college.

Although the two-year law school model has its benefits, UF students like Arren De La Torre are skeptical about the cut to curriculum.

Torre, a 20-year-old UF advertising junior, said most people believe easier and faster is better, but it’s safer to keep the third year.

“I don’t know if it’s a very smart move,” she said. “Three years is already cutting it close for that much knowledge.”

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 2/17/2014 under the headline "Pre-law students want two-year programs, study shows"]