Vine
Vine

As other students move on to different apps, Kristen Harding, 21, still uses Vine to send funny videos to her friends.

“It was a way for my friends and I to stay connected,” the UF food and resource economics junior said.

Vine will discontinue its mobile app “in the coming months,” the company, which is owned by Twitter, announced in a tweet Thursday. The app, which allows users to share and watch six-second videos, is still up for now, and the website will be kept active to re-watch videos, according to the statement.

Harding still relies on the app for entertainment.

“You can watch it over and over again, and it never loses its comical relief,” she said.

Harding said she used to go on the app every day but has since decreased her usage to once every few days.

“It was just a thing of the past,” she said. “I got busy and new apps came out.”

Regan Hamrick, a UF health education and behavior junior, said she used to stay up laughing at Vines with her roommate in Murphree Hall during her freshman year.

“At the end of the day, it’s a really good way to laugh,” the 20-year-old said. “It’s a fun app to mess around on.”

Like Harding, Hamrick now only goes on the app a few times a week, but she said she was sad to hear of it’s discontinuation.

“I don’t use it as much anymore, but I know it still has a pretty big fan base,” she said.