R.I.P. 2016: How to celebrate New Year’s Eve in Gainesville

Gainesville bars and businesses will bid farewell to 2016 on Saturday night and ring in the new year with champagne toasts, a ‘bubble’ drop and music from the likes of David Bowie and Prince.

As the clock strikes midnight in Gainesville, bubbles will fly at Bo Diddley Plaza while the ball drops at Times Square.

Gainesville’s Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department will host a free outdoor concert and New Year’s countdown at the downtown plaza, located at 111 E. University Ave., said David Ballard, events coordinator for the department.

The all-ages concert starts at 9 p.m. and will feature bands such as The Couch Messiahs and Wild Blue Yonder. As midnight approaches, the crowd will count down the seconds with complimentary noisemakers, he said.

“When we hit midnight, everybody can make some noise, and we can all bring in the New Year with our community,” Ballard said.

He encouraged attendees to bring blankets and chairs in preparation for a fun night.

“We’re just hoping folks come and have a great time,” Ballard said.

Further downtown, music from artists who have died this year will blare at The Atlantic, Arcade Bar and the Alley in remembrance of the musicians that 2016 has stolen from us.

As a part of the R.I.P. 2016 Block Party, bar patrons can partake in themed drinks, music and a free midnight toast. The party starts at 9 p.m., according to a Facebook event page.

The event is for those 21 years and older; there is no cover, and attendees are encouraged to wear costumes.

At Rockeys Dueling Piano Bar, located at 112 S. Main St., festivities will include appetizers, free hats and a free midnight toast -- along with the bar’s signature dueling piano show.

The party will begin at 7 p.m., according to a Facebook event page.

Admission is $10 at the door, and VIP tables are sold out, according to Facebook.

At The North Florida Regional Medical Center, located at 6500 W. Newberry Road, 80,000 lights will flash, corresponding to music as a part of a 27-year tradition.

Anya Mayr, the marketing coordinator for the center, said the colorful lights surround a duck pond and are synced to music.

“Overall, they’re just very nice to look at,” she said.

Mayr said that going to see the lights is a great option for families and friends on New Year’s Eve.

“It’s so special because it’s a tradition in the Gainesville community,” she said. “It’s been going on for 27 years, and it’s something people look forward to every year.”

Downtown Wine and Cheese, 113 N. Main St., will host its New Year’s Eve Food and Wine Party.

The party will begin at 8 p.m. and is RSVP only. It will feature a five-course meal and wine pairings at a casual pace, said owner Maude Wilson.

“It gives people a chance to mingle and get up and dance--do things like that--instead of just sit at a table and eat one course after another,” she said.

Wilson said it’s the first year of the party, and it will have games, prizes, live music, a photo booth and a midnight toast.

“It’s a much more relaxed atmosphere than a large crowded place on New Year's,” she said. “We’re also offering real French champagne for the toast--and not in a Solo cup.”

The Brass Tap, 3833 SW Archer Road, will be offering rare beers, $4 select drafts and a free midnight toast.

Allen Hessell, the owner, said nine rare beers will be on tap all day, and football games will be playing with sound starting at 3 p.m.

“If they’re a beer geek, these are some hard kegs to get,” he said. “They will definitely love them.”

He said the beers include Cigar City Vanilla Hazelnut Marshal Zhukov’s, Cigar City Oatmeal Raisin Cookie, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, Funky Buddha Last Snow, Funky Buddha Morning Wood, Founders Lizard of Koz, Founders Backwoods Bastard, Terrapin Wake-n-Bake and Terrapin Moo-Hoo.

“This is an incredible line-up for New Year’s Eve for the beer geeks of the world,” he said.

Going into the new year, Ballard said Gainesville is excited to put on more events for the community.

“(We’re looking forward to) continuing to put on well-priced and many free programs for the community to come together and enjoy,” he said.

mwatkinson@alligator.org

@mary_lou_w