Starting this semester, a new mail system in UF’s residence halls will provide students with 24/7 access to lockers holding their packages.

The lockers cost approximately $35,000 per area office, Todd Morrone, the associate director of public and governmental relations for Housing and Residence Education, wrote in an email. Morrone said 11 of 12 area desks are getting lockers, making the cost a combined $385,000. He said the system aims to improve service and make it easier for students to get their deliveries.

Infinity Hall area desk will not receive new lockers because it’s the newest hall, Morrone said.  

The system will message students a code to open the locker with their package, said Aniyah Girtman, an employee at the Springs Complex area desk . Area staff will no longer personally hand packages over.

A start date for the lockers hasn’t been decided, Morrone said. The new method is still being evaluated.

“The system is envisioned to enhance the package delivery service that the area desks offer residents and improve the efficiency of area desk operations,” Morrone said.  

Abigail Bartosek, an 18-year-old UF nursing freshman, said she thinks the system will make finding her  packages more efficient.      

“I think it’s easier for them behind the desk and just simpler, because things that are electronic normally turn out to be easier once they’re figured out,” she said.