Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Two Gainesville men were accused of burglarizing and stealing multiple cars last week.

Kenyatta Patterson, 20, was arrested Tuesday morning after being suspected of stealing two cars, deputies said. Two days later, Zachary Stevenson, 18, was accused of breaking into cars and working with Patterson, police said.

A man told Gainesville Police his unlocked 2012 Honda was stolen on Sept. 29, according to arrest reports.

Alachua County Sheriff’s Office deputies used GPS to find the Honda and another stolen car next to a house on Southwest 98th Avenue, the report said.

Deputies found the keys to both cars underneath Patterson’s pants, the report said. He told officers he didn’t know why he had the keys.

Fingerprints inside the Honda matched Stevenson’s prints, police said.

Stevenson was accused of walking around the Stone Hill Apartments parking lot, at 13820 NW State Road 235, and checking for unlocked cars Thursday, according to the report.   

Stevenson and other men ran away as soon as they saw police. Two cars in the parking lot were burglarized and a cell phone was stolen, deputies said. 

Stevenson was charged with two counts of burglary and one count each of grand theft auto, small theft, loitering and resisting an officer. 

Patterson is charged with two counts each of burglary and grand theft of a motor vehicle. 

Stevenson and Patterson are being held in the Alachua County Jail in lieu of a $45,000 bond and a $60,000 bond, respectively.

Contact Jessica Curbelo at jcurbelo@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @jesscurbelo