<p dir="ltr">Receiver Tyrie Cleveland caught a game-winning 98-yard touchdown pass the last time Florida played LSU in Death Valley.</p>

Receiver Tyrie Cleveland caught a game-winning 98-yard touchdown pass the last time Florida played LSU in Death Valley.

The Gators haven’t faced LSU in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in nearly three years. The rivals played their last two games in Gainesville thanks to an arrangement stemming from Hurricane Matthew in 2016.

Only a handful of Florida players were on the roster for that game, but those that were remember it well.

“That was crazy,” redshirt senior center Nick Buchanan said. “Death Valley is an unbelievable atmosphere when you go down there.”

This year’s bout has higher stakes than that one did. Both teams are ranked in the top 10, but the Gators find themselves nearly two touchdown underdogs against the Tigers. If they’re going to replicate the success they had against Auburn in the Swamp in a hostile road environment, there are several aspects of their game they should focus on.

Forcing mistakes from Burrow

LSU quarterback Joe Burrow has been one of the best passers in the nation through five games. He’s thrown for 1,864 yards, 22 touchdowns and only three interceptions. He’s second in the FBS in passing efficiency — trailing Oklahoma’s Jalen Hurts — and has three games with at least five touchdown passes.

He likely presents the toughest challenge UF’s secondary will face in the regular season. That’s why it’s imperative the Gators force him to turn the ball over.

Luckily for UF, that’s its speciality. Florida's defense is tied for first in the nation with nine interceptions.

Graduate transfer edge rusher Jonathan Greenard has revitalized Florida’s defensive line, and the unit is tied for second in the nation in sacks with 24. Bringing the pressure was key in the victory on Saturday.

UF harassed Auburn's true freshman quarterback Bo Nix all game long, forcing three interceptions.

Burrow threw two picks and lost a fumble in Florida’s upset victory over LSU last year. With the way the Tigers’ offense is clicking, it could take a similar performance from one of the best defenses in the nation to prevent a shootout.

Giving Trask time to throw

Redshirt junior quarterback Kyle Trask has been phenomenal in his first three starts, as long as he’s granted protection.

He has six passing touchdowns and two picks since taking over for the injured Feleipe Franks, but was strip-sacked three times by an Auburn defensive line that may be the best in the nation. LSU’s defensive line will present a different challenge to UF’s front, which has struggled this season, according to John Hevesy, UF’s co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach.

“I think they’re probably — and not to take anything away from Auburn by any means — but they’re a little more athletic in terms of pass rushing and using their hands and getting around things,” he said. “So to me it’s a matter of, we’ve got to stop the push and still be ready to sit down and get ready for that counter.”

Florida’s turnovers gave Auburn opportunities to stay in the game, but the Tigers failed to capitalize. Against Burrow and LSU, the Gators may not be so lucky.

Silencing Death Valley

Receiver Tyrie Cleveland knows how it feels to quiet the raucous Tiger Stadium crowd. His 98-yard game-winning touchdown catch in 2016 shocked a heavily favored LSU.

“It feels good, just the whole crowd to go silent like that,” he said. “It’s big momentum for us.”

It will likely require big plays like that to take the crowd — which should number close to a full-capacity 102,321 — out of the game.

Receiver Van Jefferson also played at LSU in his time with Ole Miss. He said the crowd noise can be a difference-maker.

“That atmosphere was crazy,” he said. “That’s probably the loudest stadium I’ve been in and played in.”

Florida’s crowd made communication difficult for Nix last week, and the Gators face the same challenge going on the road this week. But Buchanan said that these are the games the team lives for.

“You know it’s going to be loud,” he said. “They’ve got everything you can ask for when it comes to a big-time college football atmosphere.”

Follow Tyler Nettuno on Twitter @TylerNettuno. Contact him at tnettuno@alligator.org