<p>UF's Austin Hardin connects on an extra-point attempt during Florida's 14-9 win against Kentucky on Sept. 19, 2015, at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky</p>

UF's Austin Hardin connects on an extra-point attempt during Florida's 14-9 win against Kentucky on Sept. 19, 2015, at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky

With the Gators holding kicker tryouts this week to try and find some more depth, coach Jim McElwain announced on Wednesday that kicker Jorge Powell is out for the season.

Powell was hurt during a kickoff in the first quarter in Florida’s 35-28 loss to LSU on Saturday.

McElwain didn’t specify what type of injury Powell had, but mentioned that he is "obviously done"

Powell’s knee injury, along with the uncertainty of Austin Hardin, is one of the reason’s why Florida decided to hold kicker tryouts this week.

McElwain said 216 people tried out for the spot and he’s looking for someone who can just make the kicks.

"Well as long as they can flip it up there through the uprights, I’m good with it," McElwain said. "By the end of the week, we hope to have some candidates that could come out and help us."

UF’s first-year coach also said that he had a walk-on kicker become the starter while he was at Colorado State.

McElwain said he expects Hardin — who’s been dealing with a right leg injury and filled in for Powell when he went down against LSU — will be ready to go when the Gators take on Georgia on Oct. 31 in Jacksonville.

McElwain looking for running back consistency: Following a dismal running performance against the Tigers last weekend in which the Gators gained just 55 yards on the ground, McElwain stressed the importance of having a consistent ground attack down the stretch.

In Southeastern Conference games, Florida ranks 12th in rushing yards, averaging just 99.4 yards per game.

UF is also last in the SEC in yards per carry in conference games as it averages 2.86 yards per carry.

Running back Kelvin Taylor hasn’t been much better as he’s averaging 3.37 yards per carry in five SEC games.

McElwain said having a consistent running game from now until the end of the season will go a long way in determining how strong the team will finish.

"It’s huge," McElwain said.

"I think all great teams are built on being able to run the football. … We need to continue to get better at that."

Injury updates: Tight end C’yontai Lewis hasn’t seen the field for UF since the second game of the season.

Lewis has been dealing with a hand injury and while McElwain was optimistic he would play against LSU, the doctors and trainers had other ideas and Lewis didn’t make the trip to Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

McElwain said he is using the bye week to have the doctors and trainers take a closer look at Lewis’ hand, and that he hopes to have him cleared for next week’s game against the Bulldogs.

"We’ll hopefully get him this week and get some work in definitely get ready for the following week."

Lewis has three receptions for 50 yards and two touchdowns this season.

McElwain also said linebacker Alex Anzalone is still progressing, but that he’ll probably be doubtful for the next few weeks.

Offensive linemen Kavaris Harkless and Travaris Dorsey are expected to be back at practice this week.

Follow Luis Torres on Twitter @LFTorresIII