<p>T.J. Vogel watches one of his drives during a tournament last spring. Vogel will begin competition at The Masters today.</p>

T.J. Vogel watches one of his drives during a tournament last spring. Vogel will begin competition at The Masters today.

The Florida men’s golf team had to face the elements once again in the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters in Las Vegas.

Despite conditions that caused a 3-hour rain delay in the first round, the Gators were able to stay in contention after shooting 292 (+4) as a team and tying for sixth place.

“It was a long day; I think we were the last team on the course,” coach Buddy Alexander said in a release. “There was a rain delay for nearly an hour and a half and when we did come back on the course it was chilly and windy.”

Florida is just seven strokes behind leader California 285 (-3) who is ranked No. 1 in the nation by Golfstat.com. The Gators have work to do to if they hope to win the tournament but are in better position to do so than in their previous tournaments.

Eric Banks has been the biggest surprise for the Gators this spring. It was unclear if Banks would even be able to play this season after open heart surgery, but he has been one of the top contributors to the team so far.

Banks was the top performer for Florida in the first round after shooting a 71 (-1). He is tied for seventh and sits just five strokes behind leader Patrick Rodgers 66 (-6) of Stanford.

“Eric had a good solid round,” Alexander said. “He got off to a bad start but came around and finished well.”

Tyler McCumber, the Gators’ senior captain, stands just two strokes back of Banks after shooting a 73 (+1) and tying for 19th. McCumber’s has been on a small slide of his own, but can use the SH Collegiate as a turnaround before playoff golf begins.

A.J. Crouch, who started fifth for Florida, is tied with McCumber after also shooting a 73 (+1). Crouch, who is only a freshman, is coming off the second-best finish in his collegiate career.

“I was really pleased with our fourth and fifth guys (Banks and Crouch),” Alexander said. “A.J. hadn’t played a lot since October. He had a good solid round today.

“We needed that from our fourth and fifth guys. I know our top-three guys can do that and hopefully they will tomorrow.”

T.J. Vogel, usually the Gators’ best player, has continued slumping since his sports hernia surgery in the winter. Vogel shot an eagle on his fourth hole but that was the highlight of his day after shooting a 75 (+3) and tying for fourth.

J.D. Tomlinson finished last for Florida after shooting a 77 (+5) and tying for 58th. Tomlinson finished tied for 9th in his last outing and still remains in position to move up the leader board.

The Gators may be getting used to playing in the rain after their previous tournament, the John Hayt Invitational, was cut a round short by weather. The delay was only 3 hours for the first round, but it may have had an effect on how the team performed.

Play in the Southern Highlands Collegiate will continue today barring any setback from the weather.