What you need to know about coronavirus: A timeline

<p>Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)</p>

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Editor's Note: If you think you might have COVID-19, contact the Alachua County Health Department at (352) 334-7900 or the Student Health Care Center at (352) 392-1161.

March 16 

Coronavirus updates: Fuchs addresses UF community, no graduation decision, city holds emergency meeting

"Fuchs said that he expects that the university will be making an announcement regarding the status of classes beyond March 30 and the status of big events in April and May, such as graduation, by the end of this week."

LIVE BLOG: Gainesville City Commission emergency meeting

"The City of Gainesville held an emergency meeting Monday afternoon to address public safety measures, such as limiting restaurant occupancy and the closing of parks and recreation programs."

Santa Fe College goes fully online, Florida public schools close and other coronavirus updates (Updated)

"Anti-Chinese sentiment is on the rise in the United States as coronavirus fears grow. UF President Kent Fuchs posted a tweet Friday stating Asian UF students have faced discrimination."

March 15

Fourth case of the coronavirus confirmed in Alachua County

"The Florida Department of Health announced today at 1 a.m. that the county now has a fourth confirmed case, a 65-year-old female from New York. Its release read that her epidemiological investigation is ongoing."

March 14

Fourth Floridian dies of coronavirus

"The individual was a 77-year-old Lee County resident, according to the state’s health department. His case was not travel-related."

Sports world falls apart in wake of coronavirus

"On Thursday, the NCAA announced that all spring and winter championships were canceled."

Spain to follow Italy into lockdown, US expands travel ban

"More borders snapped shut around the globe: President Donald Trump announced that the U.S., which days ago barred travelers from much of Europe, will extend the ban to Britain and Ireland, where cases are on the rise. The president also disclosed that he had been tested for the virus; the results were not immediately released."

Alachua County confirms third case of COVID-19 

"This brings the number of confirmed cases of the virus in Florida to 71. Yesterday, the state had 46 cases."

March 13

Santa Fe College goes fully online, Florida public schools close and other coronavirus updates

"Santa Fe’s Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs will be available by phone to provide support and information to any Santa Fe student who needs to self-quarantine, according to the college’s COVID-19 information page."

Trump declares virus emergency; Pelosi announces aid deal

"Speaking from the Rose Garden, Trump said, "I am officially declaring a national emergency," unleashing as much as $50 billion for state and local governments to respond to the outbreak."

UF cancels class, events

"UF spokesperson Steve Orlando said UF is encouraging all students to return home. Students who live on campus are welcome to stay at their housing facility if they want to."

Alachua County has its second case of COVID-19

"Multiple people are being tested for the coronavirus in the county, local officials said in a press conference Wednesday afternoon. They would not give details on how many people are being tested, but said there is no shortage of lab tests."

Coronavirus brings entertainment world to a standstill

"Disneyland plans to shut its gates Saturday for the rest of the month. After Sunday, Florida's Disney World will also close to guests through the end of March. And Disney is suspending any new cruise ship departures starting Saturday."

March 12

UF offers emergency funding for students

"The assistance is intended to help cover the costs of unanticipated travel, additional technology requirements and other “education-related expenses” in the wake of coronavirus-related changes. Students who receive emergency funding are not expected to pay the aid back, according to the Aid-a-Gator website."

Andrew Yang’s visit is postponed for now; Dance Marathon is canceled

"In addition, the Southeastern Conference announced in a press release that SEC competition in all sports will be suspended until March 30."

Brazilian who met Trump has virus; no plans to test Trump

"Wajngarten joined Bolsonaro on a three-day trip to the U.S. and on Saturday was at Trump's Mar-a-Lago club, where he posted a photo of himself posing beside Trump. A video from the event also showed him standing directly behind both presidents as they addressed a crowd."

March 11

UF coronavirus: classes required to move online; Shands hospital has first coronavirus case

"UF Associate Provost W. Andrew McCollough wrote in an email to faculty members today that UF is transitioning all of its on-campus classes to be fully online by Monday. UF President Kent Fuchs wrote in an email this afternoon that classes will remain online until at least March 30."

WHO declares that virus crisis is now a pandemic

"Expressing alarm both about mounting infections and slow government responses, the World Health Organization declared Wednesday that the global coronavirus crisis is now a pandemic but also said it's not too late for countries to act."

Early voting sites taking extra measures in midst of coronavirus

"Pyche said there aren’t any provisions for quarantined voters, but if conditions were to get to that point, the office would reach out to the Florida Department of State and assess."

March 10

First case of coronavirus confirmed in Alachua County; officials await other tests results

"Myers said anyone who has recently come in contact with her has been identified and quarantined. Her exposures in Alachua County are 'minimal' and the risk is low."

March 9

Virus threat: Florida governor declares state of emergency

"At a news conference at the state Capitol, the governor appealed for calm and common-sense precautions. He specifically cautioned the elderly and those with underlying health conditions to not take cruise ships or long-haul flights, and avoid large gatherings."

UF urges faculty to move classes online to prevent spread of coronavirus

"Though it is not currently a requirement, there is a “strong probability” that classes will be online by the end of Spring semester, according to the email. UF’s Chief Information Officer concluded after several evaluations that UF has the technical capacity to move fully online, said Steve Orlando, a UF spokesperson."

March 7 

Florida: 2 dead in the state who tested positive for virus

"The Florida Department of Health said the two people who died were in their 70s and had traveled overseas. The announcement raises the U.S. death toll from the novel coronavirus strain to 16, including 13 in the state of Washington and one in California."

March 6

UF cancels more study abroad programs, tells some students to stay away from campus

"UF spokesperson Steve Orlando said all study abroad programs to China, South Korea, Italy and Iran planned for this Summer were canceled. Japan’s study abroad programs are still being evaluated."

March 2

UF cancels trips with more concerns from coronavirus

"All programs in China and some in Italy have been canceled this Summer, and the rest are being determined, said Steve Orlando, UF spokesperson."

Florida has two confirmed cases of new coronavirus

"'Despite these cases, the overall threat to the public remains low,' the governor said. 'With that said, we do anticipate that more will test positive.'"

March 1-3

UF students exposed to coronavirus at pro-Israel conference (Published on March 9)

"About 60 UF students were at the conference, said Katie Hernandez, the UF AIPAC liaison and Gators for Israel president."

Feb. 28 

Face masks running out in Gainesville

"Gainesville stores have been depleted of masks, according to John Lednicky, a research professor at UF’s environmental and global health department. He said it is not a bad idea to have masks on hand but does not recommend using them yet, so they can be available in case of an outbreak."

Coronavirus concerns cause UF to cancel Italy study abroad program

"The program, located in northern Italy, currently hosts 41 UF students and two faculty members, Orlando said. He said the decision was reached out of “an abundance of caution.” 

Feb. 20 

UF study abroad programs to China canceled after coronavirus outbreak

"Villalón said only programs to China will be canceled, not those in nearby countries. However, he said his team are closely watching what could happen elsewhere." 

Feb. 13

UF: If you've traveled from the Hubei Province of China, you should self-quarantine

"Those who traveled from the Hubei Province of China must self-quarantine themselves for 14 days, according to a UF email sent to the university community Tuesday. Those who traveled to other parts of mainland China will be monitored." 

Feb. 9

UF student’s grandparents stranded on coronavirus quarantined cruise ship

"The couple receives three meals per day and are provided with free phone calls and internet, but Linda Potts said she is still worried about getting the virus. She said they were provided masks, rubber gloves and thermometers to monitor any sickness."

Feb. 2

UF stops student and employee trips to China until further notice

"It is not known if or when some of the trips to China will be rescheduled. There are currently no students in China, Orlando said."

Jan. 30 

UN agency declares global emergency over virus from China

"Eighteen other countries have since reported cases, as scientists race to understand how exactly the virus is spreading and how severe it is." 

Jan. 29

UF Health monitors rumors of coronavirus spreading to Gainesville

“'As far as we know, none of the students are displaying any symptoms of coronavirus,' Luna said. 'We will not be concerned until we know there’s a confirmed case.'" 

Jan. 27

Coronavirus outbreak being monitored by UF Health officials

"Coronavirus is the name of a group of viruses. It includes common cold viruses, said Dr. Ron Berry, the interim director of UF Student Health Care Center. He said the emerging cases are more serious because there is no current vaccination or cure."

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)