21 Savage released on bond, UF performance unconfirmed

<p>FILE - In this Sunday, May 20, 2018, file photo, 21 Savage arrives at the Billboard Music Awards at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It was a shock for fans when 21 Savage was taken into custody Sunday, Feb. 3, 2019, by U.S. immigration agents in Georgia. It was an even bigger shock to learn he had been an immigrant in the first place. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)</p>

FILE - In this Sunday, May 20, 2018, file photo, 21 Savage arrives at the Billboard Music Awards at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It was a shock for fans when 21 Savage was taken into custody Sunday, Feb. 3, 2019, by U.S. immigration agents in Georgia. It was an even bigger shock to learn he had been an immigrant in the first place. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)

21 Savage is out of immigration custody, but it’s still unclear if he will perform at UF.

After he was detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Atlanta on Feb. 3 due to overstaying his visa, rapper She’yaa Bin Abraham-Joseph was released from custody on bond Tuesday, according to a statement from his legal team at Kuck Baxter Immigration LLC.

The 26-year-old is scheduled to perform at UF on Feb. 27 at the O’Connell Center, which is being organized by Student Government Productions and the Black Student Union. The rapper is contracted to receive $110,000 to perform a one-hour set. There is no back-up artist in place.

Andrew Kelly, the chairman of SGP, did not respond to questions about UF paying 21 Savage or ticket refunds.

Kelly is waiting on an update from 21 Savage’s legal team in regards to the UF performance. He said he will let students know when there is further information.

“We still don’t know how this information pertains to the show at UF,” Kelly said.

The rapper’s attorneys spoke with ICE over the nine days he was in custody to clarify where he stands legally, his eligibility for a bond and to provide evidence of his contributions to society, according to the law firm’s statement.

“He will not forget this ordeal or any of the other fathers, sons, family members and faceless people he was locked up with or that remain unjustly incarcerated across the country,” the statement said.

21 Savage was also scheduled to perform at the 61st Grammy Awards on Sunday but was unable to due to his detainment. He was nominated for Record of the Year and Best Rap/Sung Performance alongside artist Post Malone for their hit single “Rockstar” but lost in both categories.