Gregorio Ruiz-Perez

Alligator Staff Writer

Members of the UF community protest for higher graduate assistant wages in front of Tigert Hall on Friday, April 1.

UF graduate assistants protest for better wages

Graduate Assistants United at UF protested for increased wages after delayed attempts at bargaining. GAU normally reopens salary negotiations with UF at the beginning of every Fall semester, but the university has since delayed a deal twice, each for 90 days. About 70 people showed up for support, including City Commissioner David Arreola, and a few attendees walked up the building's stairs to give speeches on their struggles. For two hours, attendees chanted phrases like “Top 5 school, Top 5 pay” and “gator pay bites” in hopes the university administration would agree to another bargaining session. 

Ukrainian students stand together against invasion happening back home

The conflict in Ukraine has displaced more than 4 million Ukranians and gained worldwide media attention.UF’s Ukrainian students have felt the negative effects of the invasion back home. Their loved ones are under attack and while their community in Gainesville is small, it has brought them closer together. There are only three Ukrainian international students at UF, Mykytiuk said. 

METRO

Historically Black Community, Porters Quarters, forced to reckon with gentrification

Although Burton admitted this development in Porters was a necessity and good to return to, a lot of recent changes weren’t welcomed by the community. Burton, along with other Porters residents, said it’s important that further development be responsible and consider the wants and needs of residents. She began to understand what was happening to the Porters community: gentrification.

NEWS  |  CAMPUS STUDENT GOVERNMENT

Communist Party and Change Party announce Party Platforms

Students can vote for 50 senators and the Executive Cabinet in SG’s Spring election on Feb. 22 and 23. Five parties are registered: The Gator Party, Change Party, Communist Party, Keg Party and Waffle House Party. Polls will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. on election days, per SG election codes. Students who are unable to vote in-person can request absentee ballots through an online form before 5 p.m. on Wednesday, said Supervisor of Elections Alexandra Stedman. 

More articles »